As I prepare for the Cape Town Cycle Tour, I have become acutely aware of all the horrible tasting energy bars on the market. For the past few months, my husband Paul has had me on a tight training regimen, including some crazy weekend races. The evening before each race, he prepares water bottles with energy juice and water as well as a selection of energy bars wrapped in various types of foil. I promise you that all of them left me wanting to find a suitable solution for the final big race.
Thanks to google search and some wonderful blogs, I came across this recipe for Coconut Cream Pie Energy Bites from Ashley at a spoonful of flavor. I love the coconut on the outside of these bite-sized energy boosters!
I will be thanking you even more Ashley, as I pop these tasty little balls into my mouth while praying not to be run down by an overzealous rider.
I have been told to expect anything and everything at the cycle tour. Though I have no idea what will happen on Sunday, I do know that I will be well-fed and offering these bites to everyone around me!
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3/4 cups fresh dates, pitted
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- Add the almonds and cashews to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until nuts are finely chopped. (I used a nutribullet and it chopped the nuts beautifully).
- Add the dates and coconut oil. Pulse until the dates are finely chopped and the mixture starts to clump.
- Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Roll in coconut to coat outside of the balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.