Training for the Cape Cycle Tour is in full swing with Cycle of Life organising weekly excursions, to prepare us to finish the race in style. What started as an idea to raise money for the plight of the rhinos has escalated into a full on organisation with stunning shirts, talks on bikes and nutrition and weekly outings.
I was asked to chat about what to eat on the 110km journey so I did come up with some handy tips, one of which included these little balls of energy. They are easy to transport, quick to eat and full of energy boosting properties. They take 10 minutes to make and could help you get through any strenuous activity.
I do not like the goo and nutribars that are available to buy for energy boosters so, I am always playing with ingredients to make my own. These are one of my favourites perhaps because of the cacao!
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 200gm dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- In a food processor or NutriBullet, process the almonds until coarsely chopped
- Add the dates, chia seeds and water and pulse until a sticky dough-like consistency is achieved. Add extra water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, if too dry.
- Mix cacao and coconut in a separate small bowl.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of dough in your hands and roll into a ball.
- Roll these balls in the coconut mixture.
- Once all the balls are formed and rolled, place into an airtight container in the fridge.
Happy cycling to one and all!