I had dinner a few nights ago with my mother-in-law. As I arrived in her home, I began to salivate at the smell of her baking cheese biscuits. They are what you would expect Phyllis from Leave it to Beaver to be serving with a glass of sherry. Totally 1950’s but totally scrumptious with a glass of perfectly cooled champagne…or any other libation.
They are far from healthy but a few here and there can never hurt. The key to these delicate little treats is that they can be made and stored in the freezer for any occasion.
- 250gm (8oz) Imperial cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 1cup flour (or rice flour)
- 2 cup Puffed rice (or puffed quinoa)
- dash of Tabasco
- dash of Worcestershire
- Cream butter and cheese together
- Add flour, Tabasco and Worcestershire and mix well.
- Stir in puffed rice
- Place ball of dough on a piece of wax paper
- Roll out ball into a long log.
- Wrap in wax paper and freeze.
- When ready to use, slice log into thin slices and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 10-15 minutes.
- *To make these gluten-free, I replaced the flour with rice flour and used either puffed rice or puffed quinoa