Returning to Cape Town gave me the urge to get back into my cooking. I decided to create an African bean soup to serve to out of town guests. I thought of the various influences in and around Cape Town and this is what I came up with.
I served my bean soup this past weekend as a shooter before dinner…it received rave reviews along with the drums and a few other African favorites that were present during the evening festivities.
Please let me know what you think.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp red curry
- 420gm (14 oz)red kidney beans(1can)
- 420gm (14 oz)white beans (1can)
- 420gm chopped seeded tomatoes (1can)
- ½ cup coconut milk + 3tsp for decorating
- 2tbsp coriander, chopped
- In a large pot, sauté onions and celery in olive oil.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté.
- Once vegetables have softened, add curry paste and continue cooking.
- Add beans and tomatoes and cook on medium heat until all vegetables are softened. Aprox 20 minutes.
- Use a blender or hand held stick blender to create a creamy consistency.
- Add coconut milk to give a runnier texture.
- To serve, pour into bowl, drizzle with coconut milk and garnish with coriander