I always think it is important to have a few go-to recipes in ones cooking repertoire that take little time, are full of flavour and create lasting impressions on both the guests and their palates.
This lemony pudding cake is just that. Within minutes, this simple recipe can be popped into the oven with ingredients that are found in most refrigerators and pantries.
I am lucky enough to have prolific lemon trees growing in my garden so I have been trying to create as many lemon-based recipes as possible to share with family and friends. For this cake recipe, I added strawberries, from the back of the fridge, that had seen better days. Since they were being cut up and baked, why not use up the less desirable ones and keep the beautiful plump red ones for the salad to accompany the cake.
The solution is to create a berry bag in the freezer. Pick out the unsalvageable ones and drop the rest onto a baking tray. Once frozen, into the bag they go and you have become part of the food waste solution. You are making a difference while also having some added flavour for your next breakfast drink!
This is a great go-to dessert recipe when guests are coming and you have do not have much time to bake. Creating individual desserts with a lovely selection of berries on the side makes for an impressive finale to any meal.
- • 6 tablespoons(90g) butter, softened
- • 1 ½ cup (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- • 1 ½ cup (375ml) milk
- • 3 eggs, beaten
- • ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
- • ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- • 1 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (355ºF).
- In medium size bowl, with a hand held beater (or food processor), combine butter, sugar, milk, eggs and lemon juice.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and lemon zest.
- Pour into lightly greased, individual ovenproof ramekins.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until puffed and golden in colour.
- Unmold and serve with a selection of berries.
* Sprinkle the tops of the individual cakes with powdered sugar to add an extra caché to the dessert.