Summer is on its way here in South Africa, and watermelons are starting to hit the markets. Buying a full watermelon is cost effective and allows you to use this thirst quenching fruit in a multitude of ways. If there are extra slices leftover, make a plan by creating a highly refreshing, sweet and versatile drink.
The pureed fruit can easily be made into a drink or use it to lightening up a tomato gazpacho.
Refresh yourself with this watermelon Fizz and start celebrating the arrival of summer!
Watermelon FizzPrint Recipe
- 4 cups watermelon pieces
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup ginger ale or soda water (for something less sweet)
- Sprigs of fresh mint and small pieces of watermelon, for garnish
1. Purée the watermelon pieces in a blender (keeping a few for garnish).
2. Add lemon juice and mint and whizz until well blended.
3. Add some ice cubes to highball glasses and half fill with watermelon purée.
4. Top off up with ginger ale or soda water.
5. Garnish with a sprig of mint and a piece of watermelon.
To take this refreshing drink to new heights by adding a splash of vodka and keeping it away from the kids!