I bought a large bag of avocados from a lovely farmer on the side of the road hoping that I could slowly enjoy these brilliant green, silky smooth fruits….but no! Surprise, surprise, my dozen or so avocados all ripened at the same time leaving me scrambling to eat them up.
There are only so many smoothies, burger toppings and guacamole that you can eat in a week. I was so excited when I was asked to bring an hors d’oeuvres for a luncheon last week, as I knew that I had avocados, pomegranates and yoghurt waiting to be used. The outcome from all these items sitting on the counter and in the fridge was this fabulous dip that was perfect with pita chips but also great with fish cakes and grilled meat. A truly versatile summer recipe.
This is a great option for using up avocados that are passing their prime. The added fruity flavour boosts from the pomegranate arils are a lovely surprise.
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Place all the ingredients, except for the cilantro and pomegranate arils, in a food processor and whiz until all well blended and creamy.
- Remove dip to a bowl and stir in half the arils and cilantro.
- Sprinkle the remaining arils and cilantro on top of the dip just before serving.
- Serve with homemade pita chips. Can also be a sauce for fishcakes.