After excessive entertaining over the holiday season, I discovered a number of interesting fruits and veggies beginning to rot in the back of my fridge.
I hate wasting food so I decided to combine all of my berries into a pot to produce a lovely jam to be used on bread or heated up and eaten as a topping for pancakes. Either way, you will not be disappointed with the outcome. It takes so little time to use what would have been food for the bin or the worms.
- 1 cup strawberries
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place the berries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, so that the sugar does not burn.
- Once the fruit has softened, about 5 minutes, add the lemon juice.
- Continue cooking until the strawberries have lost their shape.
- Can be served warm as a fruit compote with pancakes or cold as a jam with scones or toasted health bread.