I must be going through a bit of an identity crisis and therefore I am creating recipes that are a bits and pieces of different cultures and moments in my life. I live in South Africa, I grew up in Montreal and I spent many years in Europe.
My cooling cucumber sauce that I served with the Souvlaki chicken is not the traditional tzatziki or raita. I would have to say that it is a combination of both. Once you have the basic ingredients, what is fun with this sauce is that you can use whatever is in the fridge or garden to finish it off and give it your special signature dish.
- 1 English cucumber, de-seeded and cut into small uniform pieces
- 1C Bulgur or Greek Yoghurt (depending on your taste)
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp cumin
- 1tbsp chopped, fresh coriander
- 1tbsp chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mash garlic, salt and lemon juice together.
- Add yogurt and cucumber.
- At this point, you can add the fresh herbs as well as the cumin(if you want to give it more of an India twist).
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- *the cucumber can also be grated and drained rather than minced.