A friend from Montreal arrived to visit us in Cape Town this past week with a stack of newspapers in tow. I immediately flipped through to the living section of the Guardian to see what interesting recipes I could find. As I had hoped, I fell upon an easy, weekday recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi (yes, the man I just mentioned in a previous blog) that I immediately adapted and made for Paul and I. The recipe originally called for minced turkey, which is almost impossible to find here in Cape Town so I decided to try it with chicken. We were both presently surprised at the flavor and the consistency of these yummy treats. It is worth a try.
- 600gm (1.3 lbs)minced chicken
- 1C grated zucchini (baby courgette for South Africans), salted and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 3tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 3tbsp chopped spring onion
- 2tbsp oil for frying
- 1tbsp soya sauce
- 2tbsp sweet chili sauce[br][b]Guacamole:[/b]
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2tsp wasabi paste
- 1tbsp chopped spring onion
- ½ tsp salt
- Grate zucchini and place in a sieve over the sink. Sprinkle a little salt over the mixture and allow to drain. Squeeze out any excess moisture. I made more than 1C of grated zucchini since it reduces quite bit once you squeeze out the extra liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, add zucchini, minced chicken, eggs, and all the seasonings and chopped herbs. Mix well with one hand to make sure all is well incorporated.
- Divide mixture up into 12 individual balls and form into patties.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (180C)
- Heat up oil in frying pan and fry the patties until browned on both sides.
- Place patties on a baking sheet and finish them off in the oven for 10 minutes.(Can be re-heated at a later date).
- As you remove the patties from the oven, brush with sweet thai chili sauce and serve with Guacamole.[br][b]Guacamole:[/b]
- Mash avocado.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve the finished chicken patties on a bed of greens with the wasabi avocado spread or even just sliced avocado.
Serve the finished chicken patties on a bed of greens with the wasabi avocado spread or even just sliced avocado.
I also prepared some roasted baby potatoes for the meat and potato man in the family.