Hot summer evenings can lead to simple meals that need very little prep work or cooking.
This Quinoa salad with beetroot and mango fulfills two of your necessary dietary requirements, as well as being tasty and easy to prepare. Within minutes, one can have an impressive salad to serve for lunch or dinner. The high protein content of the quinoa is enough for any meal but for those meat lovers, add some leftover rotisserie chicken to create a flexitarian element to this salad.
Using red quinoa in this salad reduces the possibility of creating a fully pink salad. I also only toss in the beetroot at the end. For those wanting a little more protein, I often toss in some leftover roast chicken from a previous meal.
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa
- 4 medium-size, roasted beetroot
- 1 mango
- 2 ½ cups rocket, torn into pieces
- 1 cup beet greens, middle rib removed and torn into pieces (use spinach or rocket if not available)
- ¼ cup bail leaves, torn into pieces
- ¼ cup pistachios, toasted
- ½ cup goat’s cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Clover Krush Mango juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup good-quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Flaky salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa in boiling water following package directions.
- Cut the beetroot and mango into bite-sized pieces.
- Whisk the mustard, orange juice and vinegar together in
- a small bowl.
- Slowly add olive oil to create an emulsion.
- Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked quinoa into a large bowl.
- Toss with rocket, beet greens, basil and mango pieces.
- Carefully fold in the dressing. There might be some leftover, depending on how much you want to add to the salad. (remember that you can add dressing but you cannot remove it)
- Carefully toss in the beetroot
- Top with pistachios and a crumbling of goat’s cheese.
If adding roast chicken, mix the pieces in with the mango and rocket.
The reaction from Ewan on The Expresso Morning show is priceless. He seemed not to be able to get enough of our creation this morning!