I have had the good fortune to be invited to stay with friends in Prouts Neck, Maine for the past week. Prouts is a little piece of heaven for me where we play lots of different sports, eat great food and drink too much wine.
Meals are often spent sharing food around different tables on the Neck. This past week, due to the July 4th celebrations, I offered to make a variety of salads that highlight the vegetables available in the farmers’ markets in the area.
My good friend Bettina brought home some baby cucumbers from the market a few days ago and a large watermelon was sitting on the counter waiting to be eaten. After searching for recipes with these ingredients, I finally decided to create this refreshing and quite preppy-looking salad (that green and pink combo).
- 2C watermelon
- 1C diced cucumber
- 2 Tbsp chopped mint
- 1 lime, juiced[br][b]Cucumber and Mint Yoghurt Sauce:[/b]
- 1C grated cucumber
- 1C Greek yoghurt
- ¼ C chopped mint
- sea salt and pepper
- Mix watermelon, cucumber, lime and mint into a large bowl.
- Let sit.[br][b]Cucumber and Mint Yoghurt Sauce:[/b]
- In a separate bowl, grate cucumber.
- Mix in mint and yoghurt
- Season with salt and pepper
- Just before serving, add cucumber/yoghurt mixture around the watermelon and cucumber salad.